|Hancock Park Keira Clutch|
▪ The Kate Spade surprise sale is back! And this one is a doozy. My order: Burchelli Smooth Bethany Shoulder Bag and Hancock Park Keira Clutch. Some other picks: Cherrywood Street Gywn Tote, Lily Avenue Smooth Bennett Tote (larger version here), Riverside Street Emmie Bag, Vanderbilt Place Small Giorgia Tote, Milton Lane Saffiano Small Lanie Tote, and Take a Walk on the Wild Side Bon Shopper. Shipping is free on orders over $99. And all sales are final!
▪ I just started reading Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are (original title: “How Big is My Penis”), and find it a lot lighter and more enjoyable than what you might expect from a book about big data (or maybe not, if that’s your thing). Seth Stephens-Davidowitz was recently featured on Freakonomics Radio, so if you want to get a taste of what his book is about, you might start with this podcast.
▪#IAmAPreExistingCondition trended on Twitter earlier this month after the lower chamber passed the AHCA. To navigate the hysteria surrounding the bill, this New York Times fact check piece comes in handy.
▪ Clearance styles are 60% off at American Eagle and Aerie. Prices are as marked. My picks: Tiered Sweater Dress, Lace Trim Cami, Satin Slip Nightie, Textured Off-The-Shoulder Top, Classic Lace Bralette, Lace Smocked Off-The-Shoulder Top, Pointed Toe Lace-Up Flat, Padded Lace Bralette, and Padded Romantic Lace Bralette.
▪ Okay, so ~a week ago
I had a very vague idea of what fidget spinners are, and now I know
more about fidget spinners than I’d ever need/want to know about
something which I don’t own. The only fidget spinner-related article I’d
recommend at this point is this Vice piece,
which quotes several fidget spinner purveyors who talked specifically
about pricing and volume, which isn’t normally something that most
people are willing to speak frankly about.
▪ Florida, a state with an estimated population of about 20.6 million, is home to 1.5 million citizens who have been disenfranchised “due to a felony conviction – amounting to 10.42 percent of the state’s voting age population and 23.3 percent of Florida’s African-American voting age population.” Full Frontal with Samantha Bee recently produced a segment (video link) on the topic which I would encourage you all to watch.
▪ Select special occasions attire are 20% off at ASOS (prices as marked, no code needed). My picks: A-line Lace Mini Dress with Bow Detail, Jumpsuit with Double Ruffle and Contrast Grosgrain Tie, Bow Cold Shoulder Trapeze Mini Dress, Bow One Shoulder Scuba Midi Dress, and Candy Stripe Bow Front Mini Dress.
▪ Why Germany is home to so many “Hidden Champions,” or mid-sized firms that are highly-specialized and industry leaders.
▪ Most opinions in management literature are polarizing. For every person who believes that “everyone is replaceable,” you could just as easily find someone who will argue the counterpoint. I find both positions untenable, but still enjoyed this story on Fast Company (about someone who felt guilty quitting a job at which she felt needed).
▪ New sale styles have been added to the Shopbop sale section. My picks: Free People The Incredible Tee, Zimmermann Valour Hydrangea Frill Top, Michael Kors Ava Cross Body Bag, endless rose Cold Shoulder Top, meli melo Classic Thela Halo Bag, Michael Kors Large Savannah Satchel, and Autumn Cashmere Cashmere Sweater.
▪ Like everything in the WaPo lately, this story about those with (no or) gaps in their dental coverage lapses into a criticism of the U.S. income inequality. But it is a good story, punctuated with interesting data and trivia, just a little heavy on social commentary.
▪ The Unwatched Life Is Not worth Living: The Elevation of the Ordinary in Celebrity Culture
▪ Shop Alice + Olivia’s flash sale, and take up to 70% off select styles. My picks: Drapey Cowl Neck Sweatshirt, Darleen Drop Waist Dress, Back Twist Hi-Low Dress, Lux Lace Shoulder Crew Neck Top, Cassidy Bow Dress, Suede Box Pleat Skirt, Spaghetti Fit Flare Dress, Ilana Off the Shoulder Dress, Debra Maxi Dress, and Naomi Lace Dress.
▪ Will Pixar “wither and die” after it squanders all of its goodwill by jumping on the sequel/merchandising gravy train with reckless abandon?
▪ 350(ish) degrees, the Maillard Reaction, and nice round numbers.
▪ Select styles at LOFT are now on sale. My picks: Flamingo Tassel Scarf, Glam Cateye Sunglasses, Strappy Cami, Clean Tee, Bar Bell Sleeve Sweater, Cabana Tassel Scarf, and Tie Waist Wide Leg Pants.
▪ I am pretty firmly in the camp of people who believe that dreams are more or less waste products of thoughts you had from the day before. I suppose it’s because mine are generally nonsensical and vary in theme so it’s difficult to try to divine meaning from them. So I feel like I could get behind this headline: “Why You Shouldn’t Tell People about Your Dreams.”
▪ Is hubris (or drunk with power) a mental illness? Or does this characterization minimize “real” mental disorders?
▪ Recently ordered: Toms Alpargata Slip-On, J.Crew Ruffle-sleeve Sheath Dress in Italian Stretch Wool, Madewell Striped Tie-sleeve Tee, BP Lula Block Heel Slingback Sandal, and H&M Embroidered Cotton Dress.
Have a great week, all!