|Credit: Andrew Burton/Alex Wong/Getty Images via CBS|
▪ Punxsutawney Phil, who predicts weather about as well as arthritis pain, saw his shadow yesterday. I am on team Staten Island Chuck, who did not see her shadow yesterday, which obviously means that spring will come early. Yay shortened winter!
▪ I try to avoid perpetuating conspiracy theories, but the story detailed in “The Data That Turned the World Upside Down” is too good to keep to myself. Is this the future of voter outreach and intimidation? Are our Facebook likes to blame for electing Trump?
▪ A Grub Street reporter interviews chef/restaurateur Anita Lo, who has decided to close her restaurant after 17 years because of rising costs, and because “people want the new.” If you ever want to open a restaurant, Lo’s insights and experience may inspire new considerations.
▪ Hundreds of styles are temporarily 30% off at Forever 21. My picks: Lace-Up Hoodie, Stripe Off-the-Shoulder Dress, Lace-Up Bodycon Dress, Lace-Up Faux Leather Flats, Cowl Neck Bodysuit, and Mock Neck Shift Dress.
▪ Sharing one’s immigrant experience is one way many Americans are voicing their disapproval of isolationist policies. Some of my favorites: Jia Tolentino’s “The Most American Thing“; Nicholas Kristof’s “President Trump, Meet My Family“; and Raj Panjabi’s “I, Too, Am An Immigrant. I, Too, Belong.”
▪ Sorry seems to be the hardest word (video link). The New York Times’s personal health columnist Jane Brody offers some advice on the “Right Way to Say ‘I’m Sorry.”
▪ Here’s another article about how malls and mall brands are struggling in the age of Amazon and online shopping.
▪ All sales styles at Nasty Gal are an extra 40% off; the discount will be applied at checkout. My picks: Noah Suede Mini Skirt, Harini Lace Mini Dress, Above The Curve Halter Dress, Just Ride Cropped Jacket, Born to Tie Off-Shoulder Top, and Valley of the Dolls Velvet Heel.
▪ The idea of consumer sovereignty (or “voting with your dollars”) is being tested in the real world, with some promising results. Following a boycott organized by “Grab Your Wallet,” which was started in October of 2016, Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus have dropped Ivanka Trump’s brand from their stores. And following the #deleteuber campaign, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick removed himself from Trump’s economic advisory committee.
▪ I really like this Wall Street Journal feature, which will follow some Americans (who voted mostly out of their individual economic interests) over the next few months and, document how their economics situations and viewpoints change (or remain the same).
▪ Use code F25SAL and take 25% off sale styles at French Connection. I recently ordered the Juliet Satin Bow Front Dress, Core Cashmere Blend Oversized Sweater, and Juliet Satin Bow Midi Dress. Other picks: Tara Suede Belted Coat, Sidewalk Drape Belted Duster Coat, and Spotlight Lace Tulle Mix Dress. Shipping is free on orders over $75.
▪ Bill Maher’s brand of liberalism is a shade too militant for me, but I agree with him wholeheartedly that Trump’s cabinet picks come to us from “Opposite Land.” One pick especially has proven enormously unpopular: Betsy DeVos, the secretary of education nominee and Michigan charter school advocate. Some DeVos opponents have taken to pressuring legislators in creative ways (albeit with little success). Others are reaching out to their representatives in the old-fashioned way (also to little success).
▪ Also, if you are planning to contact your legislator, you may want to give this New York Times article a read. It shares some helpful tips for those who are unfamiliar with the process.
▪ Here’s a two-year-old article on HBR entitled, “How to Make Yourself Work When You Just Don’t Want To“; I didn’t personally find it helpful (I am a lost cause), but you might.
▪ I wasn’t sure what exactly I had just read when I reached the end of “New Trends In Getting Mad Online,” but it is a masterpiece and gets more entertaining with every reread.
▪ Some Nordstrom sale picks: ASTR Ribbed Sweater Dress, Vigoss Wool & Faux Leather Baseball Jacket, BP. Cross Front Top, Free People All Mine Sweater, Socialite Off the Shoulder Rib Knit Dress, Wayf Gala Lace-Up Minidress, STOREE Bailey Off the Shoulder Sweater, and Cotton Emporium Texture Knit Pullover.
Have a great weekend, all!