1. Happy early National Cookie Day (celebrated on December 4th, which falls on a Sunday this year). This made-up holiday was started in 1987 by the Blue Chip Cookie Company, and has been celebrated enthusiastically by cookie lovers everywhere since. Insomnia Cookies will be giving out a free cookie with any purchase on Sunday.
1-1/2. We all know how much I dislike waiting in lines, so I will likely be staying (far far) away from the festivities, and be holed up somewhere baking my own cookies instead. Here are some of my favorite cookie recipes: Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies (close to impossible to botch); Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (be sure to soak the raisins in hot water beforehand. My version of this, photographed above, is overloaded with raisins and walnuts, and the dough chilled before baking so the resulting cookies are fluffy); and Snickers Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies (heed the warning to avoid overstuffing the cookies; my early batches were a mess because I was greedy). I will be attempting to bake these Nutella Stuffed Oatmeal Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies this weekend, and I am excited.
2. All sale styles at Madewell are an extra 30% off with code FORYOU until 12/5. My picks: ryder ribbed scarf, reversible cape scarf, whisper cotton turtleneck (other colorways here and here), classic cable pullover sweater, plaid academy wrap skirt, scottsdale plaid scarf, madewell et sézane® marin cable sweater, the copenhagen clutch, cableknit cardigan sweater, and the manchester crossbody bag in leather.
3. “Please, I Am Out of Options”: Inside the Murky World of DIY Abortions (The Guardian)
4. Airlines Are Finally Explaining What “Last Class” Means. It Isn’t Pretty (The Economist)
5. Reddit Is Tearing Itself Apart (tl;dr: r/The_Donald is setting everything on fire.) (Gizmodo)
7. How to Deal With the Lies of Donald Trump: Guidelines for the Media (The Atlantic)
8. How Scientists Are Preparing for a World Without Antibiotics (Popular Science)
9. Shop Bloomingdale’s F&F sale and take 25% off with code FRIENDS. Exclusions here. The BLANKNYC Suede Moto Jacket (smooth leather version here) that I love is on sale in select colors, and with the code, can be ordered at one of the best prices I’ve seen.
10. The Failure of Facebook Democracy (The New Yorker)
11. Gridiron Gangster: How a Vigilante Gambler Took Down an Alleged Crime Boss (Rolling Stone)
12. Sale styles at Anthropologie are an extra 40% off (discount applied at checkout, no code needed). My picks: Isabel Oversized Poncho, Dolman Cowlneck, Magnolia Lace Dress, Lacework Shell, and Josephine Embellished Top.
13. Revenge of the Forgotten Class (ProPublica)
15. Take 40% off all shoes and accessories at Brooks Brothers, prices as marked. Picks: Cable Knit Mittens, Cable Knit Scarf, Camel Hair Ruana, Cashmere Lined Leather Gloves, and Cable Knit Hat. Shipping is free on all orders.
16. Maybe the Internet Isn’t a Fantastic Tool for Democracy After All (New York Magazine)
17. (The Washington Post has been eye-roll inducing this year, but this theory is worth considering) The Real Secret to Asian American Success Was Not Education (The Washington Post)
18-1/2. How Venezuela Imploded (NPR Planet Money)
19. Can a Corset Be Feminist? (The New York Times)
Bonus link: For Victoria’s Secret cardholders, select panties are 10 for $35 today with code ANGELPARTY. Here are a few styles that I own and would recommend: Raw Cut Hiphugger, Lace Bikini Panty, Boyshort Panty, and Strappy Hiphugger Panty.
Have a great weekend, all!