1. Reading Money Stuff during morning meetings is part of my weekday routine. It’s something I look forward to with (perhaps too much) enthusiasm. The other day I had the brilliant idea of messing around in Photoshop after reading that day’s MS, and came up with the above (the original was done hastily; later that day I cleaned it up more—resulting in the image seen here). I excitedly shared it with Matt Levine, the columnist, on Twitter, and he was surprisingly receptive. I even got a shout-out in the next MS. At this point I feel I should just get off social media as I’ve accomplished the two things that I set out to do online: be mentioned in MS, and get sponsored by Big Candy. Sometimes dreams do come true.
2. Take advantage of a weaker pound (the recent rally notwithstanding) and Harrods’s store-wide 10% off sale (no exclusions!) until 11/6. If you are a first-time customer, you do need to register for Harrods Rewards to be eligible for the promotion. The nice thing about shopping at Harrods is that at checkout you’ll see prices on a Delivery Duty Paid basis (i.e., prices reflect all import taxes and duties, and less the 15%-17% VAT). Some items to consider: Chanel makeup, Saint Laurent bags, and Burberry trenches. Delivery charges to the U.S. are £25.00.
3. (Video Link) A Totally Real, 100% Valid Theory via Full Frontal with Samantha Bee on YouTube
3-1/2. (Video Link) Full Frontal Presidential Interviews: Barack Obama via Full Frontal with Samantha Bee on YouTube
4. (Video Link) How a Mathematician Dissects a Coincidence via Vox on YouTube
5. (Video Link) Piper (a Pixar Short) via Dailymotion
6. How the Internet Is Loosening Our Grip on the Truth via the New York Times
7. The Case Against Democracy via the New Yorker
8. Take 30% off cold weather styles and sale items with code SHOPNOW at J. Crew until 11/5. Some of my favorite outerwear styles are included: Chateua Parka (reviewed here), Double-cloth Lady Day Coat (reviewed here), Toggle Cape (reviewed here), and (the new old) Majesty Peacoat (reviewed here). Other picks: No. 2 Pencil Skirt in Double-serge Wool (such beautiful colors on offer this fall!), Box-pleated Skirt in Wool Flannel, Ribbed Relaxed Wool Turtleneck in Stripe, Bonded Lace-up Sweater, and Cambridge Cable Chunky Turtleneck Sweater.
9. Clippy Didn’t Just Annoy You — He Changed the World via New York Magazine
10. We May Have Found a Way to Cheat the Second Law of Thermodynamics via Popular Mechanics (Before you get too excited, the operative word here is “may”)
10-1/2. Argonne Researchers Posit Way to Locally Circumvent Second Law of Thermodynamics via Argonne National Laboratory
11. The Freelancer Generation: Why Startups And Enterprises Need To Pay Attention via TechCrunch
12. All sale styles at LOFT are an extra 50% off, no code needed. Some picks: Side Tie Poncho, Ruffle Shell, Striped Bell Sleeve Shirt, Plaid Cape Coat, and Collarless Henley Tunic.
13. How Rom-Coms Undermine Women via the Atlantic
14. Why People Quit Their Jobs via HBR
15. The “Normalization” of Trump, and What Comes After via the New York Times
15-1/2. The Only Article You Need To Read About Why Trump Voters Are Angry via the Awl
16. Victoria’s Secret is running a few great sales concurrently: Take $20 off orders over $125 with code 20OFF125; Use code FREE75SHIP for free shipping on orders over $75; Some great bras are 50% off; 5 for $20 panties with a bra purchase and code 5FOR20; and get a Sexy Shortie and Bralette set for $30 with code HOOKUP30.
17. Tronc If You Want to Save Journalism via Bloomberg
18. Free Shipping Is A Lie via Fast Company
19. The Audacious Plan to Bring Back Supersonic Flight via Vox
20. Night of the Living Dead Nouns via the Economist
21. Recently purchased: Ann Taylor Cropped Jacket, Banana Republic Dot Ruffle-Sleeve Dress, Club Monaco Asal Sweater, and Madewell Cape Scarf in Windowpan.
Have a great weekend, all!