1. Nordstrom’s anniversary sale is nearing its end (prices go up 08/08/16). These Adidas Superstar Sneakers (shown above in White/Black; on sale in two other colorways) that I have been wearing regularly are included in selected colorways. They run a full size large—I normally wear a size 7 in sneakers and took these in a size 6.
2. How an Archive of the Internet Could Change History via the New York Times
3. What Does “Superfood” Even Mean, Anyway? via New York Magazine
4. For a limited time, all sale styles are an extra 25% off at Anthropologie; the discount will apply automatically in cart. Here are my picks: Pineapple Halter Dress, Soludos Canvas Espadrille Sneakers, Serenella Silk Scarf, Cartographer Dress, Toucan Dress, Boteh Maxi Dress, Isabel Tank, Tiered Cenote Dress, Sungrove Maxi Dress, Flower Days Tee, and Senna Dress.
5. The Case for the American Mall via Racked
6. There’s Growing Evidence That Venus Was Once Habitable via Gizmodo
7. What’s the Deal with the Food at T.J. Maxx? via Bon Appétit Magazine (I find the concept of “treasure hunt merchandising philosophy” fascinating; is it an allotrope of your average artificial scarcity or is it a completely different beast? I also love this quote from Expensive People: “Messes are made by people who want, but don’t know what they want, let alone how to get it.”)
8. Hundreds of new styles have been added to the ASOS Outlet. Here are some of my favorites: Lace A-Line Dress, Ruffle Detail Column Dress, Bardot Pencil Dress, Fringed Cape, Floral Shift Dress, Floral Bow Dress, Embroidered Slip Dress, Shirt Dress, Cold Shoulder Dress, Stripe Lace Column Dress, and Hummingbird Print Dress.
9. The History of the Call Center Explains How Customer Service Got So Annoying via Vice
10. In the best news I’ve read all year, Bojangles
(currently confined to the Carolinas and a few random outposts along
the Eastern Seaboard, with its northernmost location in Reading, PA)
just signed an agreement to expand outside its core market.
The sad news is that it’s expanding westward, and not northward. I am
jealous of everyone who lives in southern Alabama and southeast
11. The Brief, Weird History of People Trying to Sell Us Interstellar Real Estate via Fusion
12. Nice Cargo Shorts! You’re Sleeping on the Sofa via the Wall Street Journal
13. (Video Link) A Decade Of Viral Dance Moves via the New Yorker
14. 10 Extremely Precise Words for Emotions You Didn’t Even Know You Had via New York Magazine
15. Recent purchases: J. Crew Double-Pleated Midi Skirt (this is a keeper!), Eliza J Elbow Sleeve Lace Ikat Sheath Dress, Topshop Chiffon Pleated Midi Skirt, J. Crew Ruffle-Sleeve T-Shirt, and Lush Twist Front Woven Shirt (also a keeper).