1. I invariably find room for just one more tweed jacket in my closet. I recently added this J. Crew Metallic Tweed Jacket to my collection and am very pleased with the purchase. J. Crew’s tweed jackets rarely disappoint; I continue to wear the Dauphine and the Maple every other week or so, and the cost per wear must be in the dime range for these two. (A note on sizing: while the metallic tweed jacket pictured above is very similar to the maple tweed jacket from a few seasons ago, it fits about a half size larger. If you are between sizes, take the smaller of your two sizes.)
2. I’ve been trying to shop more frequently at J. Crew (got a generous gift card over the holidays) but many of the newer concepts and designs fell flat for me. I am likely not alone in this. While J. Crew’s Q4 sales figures have not yet been released, judging by its abysmal bond prices (and the fact that Mickey Drexler has been dumping properties), its new direction likely hasn’t caught on with shoppers.
3. For non-NFL fans who feel excluded from Super Bowl festivities, consider watching the Puppy Bowl (on Animal Planet) instead. It’s perfect background TV for folding laundry, board/card gaming (one of my best friends recently gifted me Citadels and I’ve been hounding anyone who looks vaguely available to play with me; it’s very fun), and working on jigsaw puzzles.
4. I resubscribed to Netflix last weekend (after a long hiatus that slightly boosted productivity) after being incapacitated by
the bubonic plague a common cold, got caught up on Orange is the New Black, and discovered Master of None. I really enjoyed the latter despite going into the series with some skepticism.
5. The Lunar New Year is coming up. This year, I picked up a few faux leather coin purses from Forever 21 (that are a modest $3.90; not a bad value considering the price) to use as red envelopes. If you have the funds (as I did this year), this bold red YSL monogram wallet (with a nominal amount of cash tucked inside) may be a fun alternative to cash for someone special (this idea was a hit with my mom; YMMV, of course).
6. This article, along with the related interviews, forces the question: Is it really unfeminist to not vote for a female candidate? (My answer is an unapologetic no, but I wonder if I am completely missing the gist of what Gloria Steinem is getting at.)
7. The new arrivals section at LOFT is heavily nautical-themed. As a stripe fanatic, I am not complaining. (But seriously, so many striped items: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
8. Few people love pandas more than I do (imo), but the fervor with which this NY congresswoman pursues her agenda of bringing a pair of pandas to New York bewilders me.
9. As a fan of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report (RIP), I am so excited about the premiere of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee tomorrow night. (At last, a female late-night talk show host!)
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, all!