I recently wore this green and white striped dress from Kate Spade to a bridal shower where it was warmly received (I should probably disclose that the guest list comprised all college friends and green was our school color). It’s now on final sale for an additional 25% off with code SETSALE and the smallest sizes are still available.
While the fit is far from perfect—the length is about three inches too long on 5’2 me and about an inch too loose throughout in size 00, I like the print and concept enough to keep the dress despite what I anticipate will be expensive alterations (zippers are along the side and the back buttons are decorative).
The material—92% cotton and 8% silk—is stiff and inelastic which works well for the fit and flare style but makes the dress difficult to remove and, when worn, restricts arm movement.
Here are a few more picks from the Kate Spade sale, which will end on 7/7: Heritage Fit and Flare Dress, Highland Place Katie Bucket Bag, Alice Court Kaiya Bag, Stripe Sweater, Lodero Sneakers, Cedar Street Monday Crossbody, Scallop Dress, Emerson Place Vienna Bag, Montford Park Smooth Ashton Bag, Holden Street Small Leslie Satchel, and Cotton Jersey Lace-up Top.
And some of my favorite reads from the last week:
1. Portraits of the Close Encounter Between Jupiter and Venus via the New York Times
1.5 Reaching Pluto, and the End of an Era of Planetary Exploration via the New York Times
2. Coheed and Cambria Sing Justice Scalia’s Dissenting Opinions via Funny or Die
3. Revenge Killing via the New Yorker
|Kate Spade New York Yarn Dyed Fit and Flare Dress (also here) | Forever 21 Anchor Wrist Cuff | c/o Ann Taylor Rattan Straw Bag | Zara Wedge Pumps (similar)|
4. The Value of Art No One Alive Will Ever Experience via the Atlantic
5. Why Women Apologize and Should Stop via the New York Times
7. A Paleontologist Deconstructs ‘Jurassic World’ via the New York Times
8. Sexts, Hugs, and Rock ‘n Roll via Buzzfeed
10. Why Don’t the Poor Rise Up? via the New York Times